Sunday, June 1, 2014

Magnolia

This tree has been through the wringer. Due to the low humidity and extreme cold we experienced, it has quite turned brown. Keep in mind, magnolias shed their leaves year round. This was entire branches dying on me. I went to further investigate and to my horror discovered mold on the leaves, spiders, and all sorts of bugs. I hope some of the bugs are helping the poor tree.

I ran inside to do some research because it is not doing well, but the verdict was pretty hopeless. They develop diseases in the soil. Apparently, Magnolia roots are shallow. Advice discourages the use of fertilizer....pretty much anything to aid the trees.

I can cut the branches off that died, but truly much of anything you do to mess with the tree, hurts it. Basically, from what I understand, your best time to ensure a healthy tree is when you plant it initially.

So before I throw up my hands in despair completely, I tossed some rotten tomatoes around it to up the acidity level, and covered it with mulch. The only help I can truly give it is to cover the ground in 3 inches of mulch.

1 comment:

  1. let us know what happens to the poor tree. The roses came back, maybe this tree will also.

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.