Monday, August 4, 2014

Fall Plans

Fall in the Garden
My favorite time of year in the garden is fast approaching. Let me clarify. My favorite time of year is Summer, but when it comes to gardening it is fall. I find it easiest to plan and create my structures when everything is dying away and it is still decent temperatures outside.

I have huge plans as always for my yard. We'll see how much gets accomplished. First off the list of general chores I have during fall:
  1. collect grass clippings (over 40 trash bags this year)
  2. collect mowed leaves
  3. collect burnt wood ashes (need to clean the firepit out first!)
  4. collect pine needles (I wish we had more pine trees)
  5. continue collecting chicken manure
  6. continue collecting vegetables and fruit
  7. continue collecting cardboard
  8. collect coffee grounds
  9. buy a huge bucket of epsom salt
These are the materials my lasagna layers consists of . My ultimate dream is to have a worm "farm", but we haven't quite achieved that step.

For the yard my plans are:
  • add a new garden bed
  • mulch all the fruit, nut, and flower trees
  • mulch the bushes
  • weed the front bed
  • transplant and thin out the irises and cana lillies
  • clean out the chicken coops
  • design herb garden beds
Hopefully by fall I will have successfully propagated a few gardenia and blueberry bushes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.