Saturday, April 5, 2014

Warm Weather Plants

Orange Tree

Banana Trees

Lemon Tree

Hibiscus Tree
I grew up in Texas. My dream is to build a greenhouse for the plants I know how to grow. For now my favorite plants are kept indoor during the winter. These poor plants are going on 3 years old and they are brave little things....

Each winter these plants bear the least amount of sun and humidity. I focus on keeping them from going dormant as long as I can. Obviously, there is a difference of caring for them here in NC. Where I grew up, I never saw snow and the weather was warm, humid, and dry.

During the summers here, we water these plants every evening as the sun is going down. You want to not just water the soil. You want to spray these plants down, leaves and all. What I love most about these plants is that the leaves droop when they need water.

During the winter in NC, it is tricky. These plants love direct sunlight of over 12 hours....you can imagine what the winters do to the plant like that. During the least amount of sunlight, these plants leaves turn yellow and fall off. I barely water these plants during the winter and when I do it is from their basin to feed their roots more than their leaves and branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.