Thursday, February 20, 2014

Attempt 1 for "Start Your Garden"

I mentioned a few days ago an article discussing why we simply do not have the luxury to delay attempting a home garden. (I did not realize how sporadic my thought process and life in general is until I tried writing it down in blog posts!) For these reasons, I am simply going to blog the first serious attempt over the next few months.

baking soda to prevent weeds
This month: February.....the first two weeks I simply procrastinated. Spring is around the corner and I simply cannot procrastinate! First plans up for this weekend is to the burn the tree that fell over in the summer/fall storms. I am excited. I use the ashes from the trees and limbs in our yard for the garden. (a mulch machine is on my wish list) .....there is one little problem. We use the burn pit for everything. Yup, I have to clear out all the metal and things that don't burn from the pit so that I can have sweet, wood ashes.
The tasks needing completion before spring were detailed in the previous post It's the playbook, right?  there are minor deviations in the list:
  1. burn fallen limbs and trees
  2. weed dead weeds from gardens
  3. hoe edges of garden
  4. cover edges of garden with baking soda to prevent grass and weeds (this is an experiment)
  5. mulch garden beds
  6. clean out compost piles
  7. prune bushes and trees
  8. mulch trees
Hopefully in the next few posts I can detail each process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.