Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Goal

http://twitpic.com/davyhv
Yesterday I mentioned I had a goal when it comes to my garden. I've read and heard, "to realize and set toward accomplishing our goals we need to write them out". Today, I am going to attempt to write out that goal for the first time. 
This is Rick_Bayless's garden photo pinned to pinterest>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My goal is to design an edible yard. It's hard to design in detail with the prospect of moving in the back of your head, but there is no time like the present. When I wait for the perfect circumstances to begin anything.....those ideal conditions never appear.

I will say, this edible yard is quite grandiose in vision! In my mind, it would be many acres sectioned into fruit orchards, livestock, vegetable and herb gardens, shrubs and flower gardens, and a grain plot to raise feed for the livestock. A yard large enough for free ranging chickens and a cute, white picket fence to keep them from flying over to our area of yard.

The edible garden would by no means stop there! The design of the garden would greatly be dependent upon what the land included, but hopefully that land will include a natural pond or two. The snag would be my husband and my differing ideas of a garden, lol. This is where the creativity comes in. His only request is that no maintenance be required. No small task to accomplish, but my second goal. Nature can take care of itself when the design encourages the flow of nature's life cycle.
An edible garden design, in my mind, would not just include the layout but also the function of the yard. Where the compost piles would be situated, the rainwater barrels, the buildings for the livestock, ect.
Yes, it is one huge dream. A dream I want to retire on. I doubt as an elderly person I would be bored.

2 comments:

  1. It would be beautiful and I love something that is functional

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it would be beautiful. I love his twitpic because his garden is beautiful and his food looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.