Monday, February 10, 2014

Black Gold

Black Gold
My biggest dream is to create my own soil from the land. A huge circle is what I want to create. I am no where near my dream, but this pile represents 3 years of planned decomposition. The first year it started with buying at the store peat moss, using newspaper, pine needles from the in-laws land, and that was about it. The second year was quite bountiful. The first layers was cardboard followed by, chicken manure, grass clippings, decomposed leaves, pine needles, wood ashes, wood chips, the previous year's soil, and epsom salt.....pretty much the same mixture the third year will crushed egg shells added to the pile. My dream list for rich soil would be an even mixture of brown and green decomposition. My dream list would be as follows:
  • Animal manure
  • Fruits and Vegetables
  • Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Epsom Salt
  • Wood ashes
  • Wood chips
  • Pine needles
  • Egg shells crushed
  • Worm tea
  • Worm soil
The biggest failure that keeps recurring is a thick enough ground work for the bins so that grass roots and weeds do not grow up in the pile.

2 comments:

  1. Do you guys drink coffee? I've heard that coffee grounds are great for this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Coffee grounds, *doing a happy jig* I'm always looking for more to add. My husband drinks coffee on weekends. I need to add them.

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.