Saturday, February 22, 2014

Easter Lilly

May 30, 2011
My ongoing project is to return my former Easter Lilly to it's former glory. The first year I discovered the Easter Lilly, in all its beauty, it was hidden beneath a gardenia bush. I have not studied up on caring for Easter Lillies, and am beginning to wonder if that is where I have gone wrong.

I thought the poor plant was suffering under the huge presence of the gardenia. I carefully transplanted it to a shady spot nearby and eagerly anticipated its blooms. Unfortunately, it never bloomed and the plant was measly in size. I should not have been surprised seeing I transplanted the poor plant that March.

I concocted a daring plant to transplant it further into the shade. To my surprise, there were many bulbs!!!! Somehow I had managed to propagate the plant successfully, if nothing else.

  Here is what a transplanted Easter Lilly looks like with its bulb and green shoot. I have experienced a high success rate transplanting bulbs and bushes. As in every transplant that was supposed to be very risky have never died on me. Now getting my transplants to bloom .....that's another story, but they have never died on me, lol.

Here are a few tips when transplanting bulbs and bushes.
  • Work Fast, delicate plants do not care to be exposed to dry air.
  • Transplant when the plant is dormant, 40 degree weather typically
  • Maintain some of the original dirt around the plant's roots             
  • When planted, remove all air pockets by stepping around the plant
  • When planted soak the soil well, to encourage the roots to grow    
  • Trim back bushes to encourage the plant to focus on its root system

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.