Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Step One

"Time to get serious!" I stumbled across an article this morning about stating this is your year to garden. It was a wake-up call to say the least. For that reason, I am going to return to the original intent of this blog. Informing you through pictures, how to grow a garden. From what I understand NC lives in zone 7b. If you live in zone 7b, never started a garden, and are interested. Follow along. I am not promising success. I am encouraging effort and through our efforts we will come away with personal experience and knowledge about our zone climate.
Today is supposed to be beautiful. NC is notorious for their late frost, in my opinion. I have not remember a single Easter Sunday as long as I've been up here, (10 years, give or take) that was not cold and cloudy. From that day forward, it warms up quickly. What happens while we wait to plant outdoors? We prepare the soil and plant indoors!

Step 1: soil prep and plant preparations.
A sweet lady who is in her 70s, has taken me under her wing. I am so thankful and excited that she is sharing her gardening tips for NC. This state's weather puzzles me to no end! Her advice, "Don't plant anything outdoors before the last frost. The first plants usually planted during this time of year are peas, onions, lettuce, and potatoes." So let's take her advice to heart. 
  •  Let's look at the seed packets. 
  • Determine what seeds in your climate can be planted earliest.
  • Find a gardener in the area to glean experienced wisdom.
This year I am going to be trying my hand at potted gardening, outdoor gardening, and indoor gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.