Friday, February 28, 2014

Compost

First Compost Pile
Have I mentioned before my whole reason for buying chickens? Manure. Yes, that was my motivation for buying my first chickens.

Last year, we had over 32 at one time. We lost many due to heavy rains and foxes, but the focus of this post is composting. We all start somewhere. This is where I started.

I mentioned I spent $50 on my first 2'x8' garden for simply dirt! I told myself never again. Here is a list of things I have learned from experience in composting.

  • Decide on a thick layer for the floor of your compost pile. This prevents weeds and grass from growing . 
  • Have an opening. This was one of my mistakes. I had this nice round bin, but forgot to consider having it capable of opening when I needed the compost.
  • Plan for the compost to sit there for a good 6 months to a year.
  • Plan the location to be near two points of interest, where you are going to use it and where you are going to put compost into it. This particular compost bin is at a midway point between our first chicken coop (so I didn't have to carry the manure too far) and our first garden (so I didn't have to cart the manure to far).
  • Plan it being airy and rained on. Decomposition needs air and water.
This particular compost pile is made of two garden stakes and chicken wire intertwined on the garden stake hooks. Took maybe 1 minute to erect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.