Thursday, February 13, 2014

Seeds of Change

I've heard many phrases, "Friends for Change", "Just Do it", "What's Your Excuse?", .....(Seeds of Change is actually an online store, whoops!) It wasn't until I started researching how to harvest seeds that I opened a "whole new world" of information. This is still a learning curve and I am learning quite a few lessons.
Last Year's Harvest of Seeds
This is an area of study that I must research every year.

The following list is what I have learned from experience so far:
  •  To insure disease resistant plants, bountiful harvest, and vibrant plants - you must save your best plant's seeds. (This is so hard for me. I want to eat those green, juicy peas. I don't want to throw them up on the window sill for sun drying!)
  • Some plants (aka garlic, banana, and carrots) take two years to produce new plants!!!!!
  • There has to be enough plants for the family, replanting, and wild for everyone to eat from.
  • Plants depend upon the whole picture to propagate, produce, and regrow. (In other words those mosquitos, gnats, squirrels, ect. have purpose.)
  • In a permaculture setting, you must focus your energy, resources, and time attracting good insects and animals instead of wasting your time and energy on preventing the bad. This will save you a lot of heartache when you can get the beneficial insects and animals to take care of the work for you.
  • Finding seeds is not as simple as you would think. Who knew lettuce seeds looked like miniature cotton or dandelion with their white fluff you have to pull off in order to find the seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.