Monday, March 24, 2014

Almond Trees

A few years back, (maybe last year?) my in-laws had bought me some Almond trees. Two of my children have varying allergies. When compiled together, their allergies create a long list. One allergy they do share is nuts. They are specifically allergic to peanuts.....so, what does almond trees have to do with this allergy?

Almond tree waiting to be planted
They used to eat almond butter. Thankfully, their reaction to peanuts is mild. Because one of them itches after eating almond butter, we switched to sunflower seed butter. There is only one little problem. My husband and I discovered we love Almonds. In comes the Almond trees. We initially were going through so much almond butter, we thought it would be cheaper to start growing our own almond trees and processing them into Almond butter.

I can't remember when we received the first batch of almond trees. My husband maintains that it was not the right time of year to plant them. All I know is we planted it in  a pot to wait until we could plant them in the ground. Next thing we know the pot was standing there with no Almond tree! It had been a windy day and the wind had snatched the tree right up since the roots were shallow.

Lesson learned: don't plant almond trees in pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.