Saturday, March 1, 2014

Indoor Planting

Jiffy Pellets
I typically start indoor plants in jiffy pellets. These pellets I had in a two gallon water jug, with the side cut away to the handle. Made for a great greenhouse! I was going to post a picture, but can't seem to find the jug.
Starting seeds indoors is simple.
  1. Fill the container, the pellets are going to placed in, a 1/2" thick in water.
  2. Place pellets in water to soak it up.
  3. When pellets puff up from water, plant your seeds in the hole.
  4. Set the container of plants in sunlight.
My only complaint with this method is they grow too fast. I believe when plants grow very tall, it is because the seeds were not planted deep enough, but I'm not 100% sure on that fact.
Hardening off plants is another story. This year I finally dished out the $10 for an official indoor greenhouse and planting soil.

To harden off the plants, you set them out during the warmest time of the day in spring. Bring them in after 30 minutes to 2 hours. Keep lengthening the time by 2 hours. When they have made it through a night, plant them in most soil. I always keep their pellets with the plant, for a boost of nutrients.
 
Planting Mix $4.82

greenhouse $4.47


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.