Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Step Two

Seed depth
Step two involves a lot of watering. Until time to add mulch, there will be a lot of watering. There is no right or wrong method when it comes to watering per se. I have found that if I water in the early mornings and late evenings it helps - I am getting ahead of myself.

Step two:
  • Plant seeds
  • Keep ground moist
 Step two seems so simple, yet it is meticulous. You want to plant your seeds with the final product in mind. Envision the size of the plant and space apart appropriately. The back of seed packets give a good estimate.

Seed depth is basically dependent upon the size of the seed. The smaller the seed the closer to the top of the soil it needs to planted. The larger the seed, the deeper it needs to be planted. In general, seeds are planted no deeper than 1" at the extreme end of the spectrum.You are just ensuring the seed is surrounded by moist soil to soften the seeds and help it germinate.

Seeds do not like to drown. Moist soil is critical. Well-drained soil is crucial. My personal opinion, I believe my bed have down so well because I place the topsoil over leaves, grass clippings, and manure. Since these are not entirely decomposed, it allows the water to drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.