Monday, March 17, 2014

Summer Plans

I just planted my spring garden. Spring is less than two weeks away, and it's time to plan for the summer garden! I am dreading the Summer garden.

One reason I am dreading the Summer garden, is because I have yet to successfully harvest any summer produce. My summer plants are beautiful. The vegetables look so juicy. Somehow they never make it to picking time.

I feel as though I've added a whole different level of detail (not the word I'm looking for) this year. So far the concepts: companion planting, lunar phase planting, garden bed layering, and heirloom have been thrown around. I am going to add the concept succession planting to the mix.

Succession planting explained at its simplest. The idea is vegetable roots leave behind certain chemical compositions. This chemical factor effects what vegetables are planted in the garden bed next.

I feel as though, I not only have to consider what companions can grow together but also what plants can follow the previous inhabitants of that garden bed. Without further ado, my Summer Garden List:

  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Peppers
  • Beans
  • Squash
  • Cilantro
  • Dill
  • Fennel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.