Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rocks Are Expensive - Who knew

Thankfully, the big rocks came with the yard. The previous owner had them in a huge pile in the back yard. The little rocks are another story. We saw it pretty pricey to spend money on rocks. Compared to mulching this area every single year, it looked a bit more frugal.

Well, the local farm that sales rocks mentioned $80 a ton and $40 for delivery.....don't quote me on the exact price, but it's a close estimate. I went online and saw a great "deal" cheaper than $80 for a certain amount of pounds......boy, did I not know what I was getting myself into.

I never considered the fact there were different sizes of rocks. I never considered having to match the color of rocks if you bought from two different places. How deep they should be to keep out weeds, ect. The box of rocks, <ha! actually boxes came in. I excitedly opened them and my jaw dropped.

There in front of me was stones and they only covered maybe 6 square inches of the front garden. We went to Home Depot instead and bought some more tiny pebbles that sorta matched the color we had bought. There in my front yard sits a daily reminder of how not to cut corners.....what was supposed to have saved us money ended up costing close to $200.....yea.... all for rocks.

This wasn't the end of our follies. When we went to lay the black paper down, to prevent weeds....well, we laid dirt on top to hold it down.....it was a windy day. Yes, we basically destroyed the whole purpose of that black paper, ha, ha.

This year when discussing the front garden, we opted to weed out the top weed covering and just leave those pebbles. The next owner can deal with how to keep it low maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question, leave a comment. I love to chat over ideas, advice, and all things garden.